Settle down. McDavid is going to be an Oiler. Get over it.
I get it, the Oilers don’t deserve him. They’ve been so bad, and such a mess for so many years, and they’ve just been handed a get out of jail free card. All of it, their own doing. They’ve had four #1 overall picks in six years. I get it. They don’t deserve to have Connor, I agree with you.
But… Let’s rewind a few months here. You want to talk about McDavid going somewhere deserving. Well, Outside of Edmonton… the greater possibilities were Buffalo, Arizona, Toronto. Can you really tell me those teams are “worthy” of the kid, equally or more-so than Edmonton? Not a chance.
Buffalo traded both of their starting goalies, for no reason other than they were keeping them in hockey games. They had fans show up to their games, and celebrate when they were scored against. They did everything they possibly could to secure the highest percentage. If my memory serves me correctly, I recall an interview with Connor in the fall, and he’d been asked about his thoughts on teams tanking for him… his response, those are the teams he wouldn’t want to play for. No kidding. So… We can cross Buffalo off that list of teams deserving. Not to mention they have ultra-douchebag Evander on their team. The Jets didnt wan’t Kane anywhere near their pool of rich prospects coming… So why would we want McDavid with that guy?
Then we get to the landscapes of the city… Yea… Ok, Edmonton is far from Carolina, or Scottsdale. I get that… I’m from there. It ain’t the prettiest, or warmest place I’ve been either. But… something about that city, helluva lot character. I rip on Edmonton lots, being from the area. But, I have a lot of pride in coming from there. When people ask, ya I live in Calgary but I’m from Edmonton. It’s a shithole, I know… but there’s something about that shithole. But… Tell me Buffalo is more of an attractive city than Edmonton? No…. it’s not.
Arizona, well… my first few comments on them are same as they were above. Did all they could to secure that extra few percent, and had their own fans, the very few of them celebrate defeat. If I recall, Maloney even made some stupid comment “tanking” and attempting to justify it. Aside from the obvious tanking down the stretch, or down the last forty games. Do we really want a potential player of Crosby calibre to end up in Arizona? Come on… The teams a disaster, no one goes to games, I’m not sure they even have a fan base… I’m sure McDavid would fill a few seats. But, the team is equally as much of a mess as the oilers are off the ice, just for different reasons. So… McDavid helps keep a team in Phoenix relevant for another few years. No… Cut your losses, and move to Seattle. Also… They are the most boring team in the league. They have the worst uniforms in sports. They don’t even deserve to exist in the Arizona, so how the hell do they deserve a saviour?
Toronto… I’m not even going to bother justifying why this train wreck is not worthy of the second coming of “the kid”
Carolina… I want to watch McDavid. Other then when Carolina plays Toronto on Saturday. When was the last time you watched the Hurricanes?
Fact is… None of these teams deserve 97. That’s why they are in this position, and that highlights the flaws of the NHL Lottery System. Tanking, and total incompetence is rewarded. Which, is why a few months ago, I wrote why the NHL needed to change their lottery system, and despite being an Oiler fan with a massive… ahhh ummm… for the next few years, I still think this system needs to be altered. But, if we are going to sit here and try to justify which teams deserve Connor McDavid, and which don’t… Fact is, the teams that “deserve” him are all playing hockey right now. Detroit deserves him. They’re made the playoffs how many straight decades? They develop players like no other team, and draft as good as anyone in sports. They deserve McDavid. But guess what… They are ineligible, playing in the playoffs. So… No team has a chance at him, that would “deserve” him, so don’t tell me there are other lottery teams that are more or less deserving of this player than any other team.
But… Here’s some things to consider before the envious hockey fan snaps again about how McDavid is going to be destroyed, and the Oilers don’t deserve even a pinecone, let alone a generational player.
- Rewind to when AZ and Buff started tanking… what did the Oilers do? The complete opposite. If you actually watched them, majority of those games… Looked like they were doing all they could to get the hell out of the double digit percentile. They put in some real good efforts down the stretch. Just ask the Flame, and Canuck fans. Remember the day they helped you clinch by beating LA? Those two are now beating the wheels off each other in what’s been a great series. Some thanks to Oil. Would have been real easy for them fold the tents, like in years past, and like the Sabres & Yotes. Bet you the Boston Bruins wished Edmonton was playing Pittsburgh last week, instead of Buffalo.
- The Fans. Come on. There has not been a more dedicated, loyal, passionate and true fan base that has stuck with their team throughout so many years of complete crap. If nothing else, the fans deserve the kid. For the most part, Oil fans get it. They aren’t ignorant, and delusional like Canucks fan. They don’t pretend to be some kind of thug warrior like the Van crowd does. They exist a helluva lot more than Phx… and, well, Buffalo fans taped a Coyote logo of the Sabre logo of their own jersey… so… you tell me. They aren’t seasonal fans. They almost foolishly are optimistic and excited for every season. Didn’t matter who the Oil played, what the weather was, how bad they were doing… People still went to games, and supported them. If they weren’t at the games, they were at pubs watching them, or at home. Guaranteed. Cause I was one of them. Knowing the Flames will thump the Oilers, it will be a complete snoozer… but I couldn’t wait to watch anyway.
- Crosby is in the east, OV is in the east, Stamkos is in the east. Why not have him in the West?
- The team is young, and potential remains through the ceiling… I keep reading how McDavid’s career is going to be ruined now that he’s an Oiler. Sure, some of the development of their young players has seemingly stalled, or is painfully slow. But… can someone please tell me, which Oiler has had their young career ruined? Is it any of the three that are off playing for Team Canada right now? If you watched any of the last 25 games, surely Yakupov is a new player with a real coach, and is on the right track. So I sure wouldn’t say he’s been ruined… and what Ryan Murray doing anyways? Can’t be Marincin… I mean wasn’t he playing at the Olympics not long ago? Klefbom? Again… If you watched last 25 games. The goalies? Ok…. You might have a case… but don’t believe any of their goalies really had much of a career prior to? Give your head a shake if you’re the Munson saying his career is already ruined, or is going to be ruined because he’s an Oiler. I can’t think of one player that the Oilers have completely ruined, so to say McDavid is next in line. You’re an idiot. Plain & Simple.
- Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau vs. McDavid, Nuge, Eberle… Come on!
- Canada. We always hope for these Canadian teams to get into playoffs, we were all so happy to see 5 of 7 get in… well, McDavid going to Buffalo, or Arizona certainly doesn’t help our odds.
- They need him more. I think the Sabres, and Yotes will still find their way and be competitive teams again. I don’t know if the Oilers would have. Now we have a bit of hope. So if they don’t “deserve” him… they damn well need him.
- As an Oiler fan… I truly believe this will shape the team up. I think his arrival is going to give a new sense of life to these players, it’s going to make them work a little bit harder. They are going to be better for it. Remember, great players make other players better. That’s the difference from a good player, and a great player. To say, that guys like Hall, Yak are going to pissed off that McDavid is going to come in and steal their thunder. No. These guys are hockey players, not selfish prima donna NBA players. I bet you the only people more excited than the rest of “Oiler Nation” … is the Oilers.
- Finally, unless you are a psychologist… you can’t tell me how devastated, frustrated, or upset Connor was in his interviews knowing he was an Oiler. The kids extremely mature, very well spoken and composed. What were you expecting? Him to jump around like a baboon? No. His reaction I can assure you would have been no different if he was an Oiler, Sabre…etc.
So… Connor is an Oiler dumb luck. No need to hate on the 18 year old kid. Wish him well, and hope the Oilers can get straight with his arrival. Better for the game.
Get over it.